How to Make Good Therapy Even Better: An Overview of the TEAM-CBT Approach
with Katie Dashtban, Psy. D.
This workshop is based on the work of David Burns, M.D., and is intended for all clinicians and mental health professionals. We will review TEAM-CBT, a transdiagnostic and transtheoretical approach to psychotherapy.
Often there is an unspoken disagreement between the agenda of the therapists and those of the clients in terms of what therapy should include and what the goals of therapy should be. For example: an anxious client’s agenda might be describing the horrors of a panic attack, while the therapist’s agenda might be offering a variety of great suggestions and treatment plans that aim to treat panic disorder. But, what is often left unaddressed is whether the clients really wish to overcome their symptoms (Outcome Resistance) or whether they are willing to roll up their sleeves and engage in what it takes to overcome their symptoms (Process Resistance). In this workshop, we will review the role of (T)esting, a way to measure the vital signs of each therapy session. We will examine the differences between offering accurate (E)mpathy versus advice giving, we will examine ways to address (A)genda Setting while keeping the resistances in mind, and we will explore a variety of (M)ethods that can be incorporated in getting rid of a majority of psychological issues as well as unwanted habits and addictions.
1. Be introduced to the approach of TEAM-CBT
2. Identify all five components of Testing, Empathy, Agenda Setting, Methods.
3. note the difference between Outcome Resistance and Process Resistance.
4. List the 5 Secrets of Effective Communication, as components of accurate empathy skills.
Dr. G. Katie Dashtban is a licensed clinical psychologist and the co-founder of Feeling Good Therapy and Training Center. Katie has been trained with Dr. David Burns, M.D. at Stanford in the TEAM-CBT approach, which is an advanced Cognitive Behavioral Therapy approach to addressing mood/anxiety issues as wellas habits and addictions and relationship conflicts.
Katie has been in private practice since 2008 and has been teaching and training clinicians around the country throughout most of her career. She established Feeling Good Therapy and Training Center in 2014, promoting TEAM-CBT as its main modality of practice. She has been training pre-licensed clinicians in a supervisory position and has been hiring and training licensed clinicians in a consulting position at the Feeling Good Therapy and Training Center.
In her private practice, Katie specializes as a health psychologist, addressing issues pertaining to chronic pain, cardiac/diabetics/obesity, and reproductive complications.
Buffet Lunch and Beverages included at the Monterey Pines Golf Club
2 CEs are offered at this presentation
Licensed MC-CAMFT Members: $25
Licensed Non-Members and Guests: $30
Course meets the qualifications for 2 hours of continuing education credits for LMFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and/or LCSWs, as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
11:30 - 12:00 Check-in, lunch, announcements
12:00 - 2:00 Speaker Presentation
FOR GENERAL INFORMATION, SPECIAL NEEDS, ADA ACCOMMODATION OR GRIEVANCES:
Please contact Bonnie Rose Fernandez at email@example.com
Please Note: Certificates of completion will be awarded at the completion of the workshop to those who attend the workshop in its entirety, sign in and out, and complete the course evaluation form.
MC-CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs and maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Provider# 050097.
APA Continuing Education Credit
- American Psychological Association: The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal by LCSWs, MFTs, LPCCs, and LEPs for programs from CE approved sponsors of the American Psychological Association. LCSWs and MFTs from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board for approval.
- SCRC is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California. For questions about these CE accreditations, visit www.spiritualcompetency.com or contact David Lukoff, PhD at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may cancel for a full refund up to 15 days in advance of the event, or a 50% refund between 5 and 14 days in advance of the event. No refunds for cancellations within 4 days of the event or for no-shows or failure to attend due to emergencies. Unused funds cannot be applied to future workshops. All requests for refunds must be submitted to Bonnie Rose Fernandez by email at email@example.com.