February Member Salon
Addiction: Basics & Beyond for Mental Health Professionals
Lynn Finnell, LMFT, LAADC
Friday, February 28, 2020
1:00 - 4:00 pm
Light refreshments included
Let’s face it! Today, clients with substance use disorders are a normal part of mental health treatment. The key is knowing when to introduce proven strategies and interventions and when to refer to a higher level of care.
The other part of treatment is feeling comfortable discussing basic concepts of addiction since so little attention is devoted to this area in our formal education. There are helpful screening tools and treatment methods that can easily be integrated into a private practice setting along with various educational resources and support services.
The purpose of this salon is to present a comprehensive overview of addiction as it pertains to the individuals that are likely to walk into your office. While you may not apply all the information presented, Lynn’s hope is that it will be helpful and even empowering to know that there is plenty you can do to help clients with the knowledge base you already hold.
At the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the etiology of addiction and at least 3 different definitions
- List at least 2 assessment tools and 3 criteria for diagnosing a Substance Use Disorder
- Explain the basic neurochemistry of addiction and the brain’s reward system
- Select clinical strategies and treatment interventions to improve Client engagement and promote behavioral change and recovery
Lynn is a dually licensed Psychotherapist and Addiction Professional who divides her time between teaching college classes and maintaining a private practice in Monterey. Her specialty is working with individuals, couples, and families struggling with addiction, mental health disorders, and/or relationship challenges. Along with teaching psychology to graduate students at Brandman University, Lynn is also an adjunct professor at Hartnell College for Alcohol and Other Drug classes. Previously, Lynn worked at several area rehabilitation treatment centers including, Castlewood in Pacific Grove, Sun Street Centers in Salinas, and New Life Community Services in Santa Cruz.
3 CEs are included in the registration cost for this presentation
(For Psychologists and nurses, the CE cost is $25 in addition to the price of registration. Please purchase CEs here AND make sure that you also register for the workshop.)
Course meets the qualifications for 3 hours of continuing education credits for LMFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and/or LCSWs, as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
MC-CAMFT Members: $10
Members of another local CAMFT chapter: $15
FOR GENERAL INFORMATION, SPECIAL NEEDS, ADA ACCOMMODATION OR GRIEVANCES:
Please contact Judy Masliyah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Certificates of completion will be awarded at the completion of the workshop to those who attend the workshop in its entirety, sign in and out, and complete the course evaluation form.
MC-CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs and maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Provider# 050097.
Information on Continuing Education Credit for Health Professionals
· CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SRCR) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
· The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
· LCSWs, MFTs and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
· SCRC is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California.
· For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance, contact Pamela Hughes from Monterey County California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists at email@example.com. For questions about CE, visit www.spiritualcompetency.com or contact David Lukoff, PhD at CE @spiritualcompentency.com.REFUND/CANCELLATION POLICY:
You may cancel for a full refund up to 15 days in advance of the event, or a 50% refund between 5 and 14 days in advance of the event. No refunds for cancellations within 4 days of the event or for no-shows or failure to attend due to emergencies. Unused funds cannot be applied to future workshops. All requests for refunds must be submitted to
Judy Masliyah at firstname.lastname@example.org.