Spirituality in Psychotherapy
with Selene Kumin Vega, PhD
March 26, 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
9:30-10:00 Welcome and Announcements
10:00-12:00 Speaker Presentation
In this workshop participants will gain a basic understanding of the need for competency in discussing and working with client issues concerning spirituality and religion. Participants will gain an overview of the spiritual categories and styles of expression as well as an understanding of the spiritual challenges in life transitions, illness, grief, death, and crises of spiritual or religious beliefs.
Specific learning objectives include the following:
- List four styles of spiritual expression.
- Describe at least two variables important in assessment of spiritual or religious concerns.
- Discuss one religious or spiritual concern that might be relevant to a client’s decision to seek therapy.
- Describe an ethical issue to be aware of in working with clients’ religious or spiritual issues.
About Dr. Vega:
Selene Kumin Vega, Ph.D. is a licensed psychotherapist (CA MFC #32604), workshop leader, and faculty in the Mind-Body Medicine graduate program at Saybrook University. Her work with movement and other experiential modalities evolved over 50 years of facilitating self-exploration, connection, and transformation. She was Associate Core Faculty in the MA in Spiritual Guidance at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology (now Sofia University), and taught at Bastyr, JFK University, and Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health. She has published chapters on using psychospiritual approaches to treat anxiety, using movement practices in psychotherapy, and journal articles on ritual. She was editor of the Spiritual Emergence Network Newsletter, and co-authored The Sevenfold Journey (Crossing Press, 1993), now in six languages.
At Saybrook, she developed and taught courses in Mind-Body Therapies and Practices, Mind-Body-Spirit Applications in Psychotherapy, Body-Oriented Approaches to Psychotherapy, and the Mind-Body-Spirit Integration seminar, as well as mentoring students, and serving on dissertation committees.
2 CEs are included in the registration cost for this presentation
(For Psychologists and nurses, the CE cost is $25 in addition to the price of registration. Please purchase CEs here AND make sure that you also register for the workshop.)
Licensed MC-CAMFT Members: $25
Licensed Non-Members and Guests: $40
Course meets the qualifications for 2 hours of continuing education credits for LMFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and/or LCSWs, as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
FOR GENERAL INFORMATION, SPECIAL NEEDS, ADA ACCOMMODATION OR GRIEVANCES:
Please contact Olivia Fae Stadler at email@example.com
Please Note: Certificates of completion will be awarded at the completion of the workshop to those who attend the workshop in its entirety, sign in and out, and complete the course evaluation form.
MC-CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs and maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Provider# 050097.
Information on Continuing Education Credit for Health Professionals
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Academy (SCA) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Academy is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. SCA maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- SCA is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California. RNs must retain this document for 4 years after the course concludes.
- SCA is an approved CE provider for National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coaches (CEP Number 100196)
You may cancel for a full refund up to 15 days in advance of the event, or a 50% refund between 5 and 14 days in advance of the event. No refunds for cancellations within 4 days of the event or for no-shows or failure to attend due to emergencies. Unused funds cannot be applied to future workshops. All requests for refunds must be submitted to Jennifer Farley by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.